About moi

My photo
I'm awful at updating blogs; as I am typing and spelling... I'm a flautist and dabble in some guitar, piano and singing. I also have an interest in writing and history (nerd I am not). Marmite lover and synesthete; owner of two cats and a goldfish. Don't like planes much and I find octopuses (or is that octopi?) pretty creepy. I'm allergic to peanuts.

Monday 17 January 2011

*Thing* of the day... Today is "Blue Monday". So how does it feel?

 Today is "Blue Monday". So how does it feel?


Apparently today, Monday 17th January, is meant to be the depressing day of the year according to the following formula  -> (W + (D-d) x TQ) / (MxNA)... (W=weather, D=debt, d=monthly salary, T=time since xmas, Q=time since trying to quit bad habit, M=motivational levels and NA=need to take action). Therefore today is apparently "Blue Monday".
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I've found today pretty good... hmmm...
To cheer up the blues battered British, two heated "Happy Bubbles", filled with space hoppers and free massages, have been in London's Finsbury Avenue Square. Now that sounds like my type of spa. 


To me, "Blue Monday" is one of my favourite songs. Released in 1983 by the Joy Division reincarnation  New Order, it is one of the most important synth tracks of all time, bridging the gap between the post-punk sound of the late 1970s and the fresh 80s synthpop and disco; not to mention an iconic indie dance floor filler. Notably it was also one of the first tracks to be performed live (and not mimed) on Top Of The Pops (although the performance turned out to be poor due to technical problems). Its stand out kick drum intro, with its throbbing sythn and bass guitar bass line makes the over 7 minute track hooky (yes, I made a joke) and so memorable that you end up in some kind of blue trance which you'll have tapping out for days.


Here is a full '83 live version... Enjoy it, I order you (pun No. 3). 
(Kylie fans: please see video at the bottom)






1 comment:

  1. love the Kylie remix. It really reminds me of 'The Clothes Show' theme tune from way back.
    http://cgdn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete